Thursday, January 14

Day Four....and counting

Today we are on day four of Brendan's sickness. It started Monday afternoon. Marion called me at work at 4:30 saying that Brendan had just gotten a high fever and I needed to come pick him up. Luckily, Brendan was the only one at day care that day, so hopefully we did not spread his germs to too many kids. When I picked him up, his fever was 101.7. I cancelled my plans and stayed home with him Monday night, not realizing I would be spending the next 72 hours (and counting) at home with a sick child wishing for a reason to go out into the world....

I keep trying to think of where he got this from. The doctor says these viruses are "a dime a dozen, almost every kid out there is contagious." I don't think he got it from Day Care. My guess is from a kid at church on Sunday morning. That is the most logical considering he started showing symptoms on Monday. I guess it doesn't really matter. The important thing is that he will be okay, if we could even just get this fever to go away!

This does make my 3rd day off from work, and although you would think I would be enjoying this break from my job, I am not. It is actually just stressing me out more. This is not a good time for my office to be off, and it is not like I am able to go places with Brendan (Disneyland, Aquarium, even the mall) instead, I am stuck here in this house with a very fussy, hot toddler who cannot express what he wants. Although, I am pretty sure even he doesn't really know what he wants.

Yesterday we had a fairly normal temperature for most of the day, I thought we were on the mend and I would be able to head back to work. But last night when Brendan woke up crying at 1:30 am, his temperature had gone back up to 103.2. Here we go again.

This morning at 8:30 it was 101 and I knew it would be another day in the house. We did make it outside the house for about half an hour as I pushed Brendan on the swing on our front porch. If I had more energy, I probably would have taken a walk with the stroller around the neighborhood.

I do feel bad for him. Having a fever for this long must be very uncomfortable. The doctor says there is not much we can do; Tylenol, and wait it out. The fever could last 3-7 days. I try to have patience with him, but the truth is I am going crazy. He doesn't want to eat, but he stands in the kitchen crying. I can't get any work done because he wants to be held all the time. I just wish he could express himself better than just standing there crying.

The good news is that he is currently down for a nap. Which means, I had time to shower, load & run the dishwasher, write this blog post, and now I need to fold a load of laundry before he wakes up. Pray for us! I hope it ends soon!

No comments: